Westchester Publishing Services has been a provider of the highest quality editorial and composition services to our clients for more than 50 years. Founded in 1969, and headquartered in Danbury, CT, Westchester fulfills editorial and production requirements for more than 450 client publishers, 10,000+ book titles and nearly 100 journal volumes each year, representing annual production of more than 1 million pages of client content.
In 2008, during a time when virtually every U.S. pre-press production company of medium or large size was being purchased by India-based firms, Westchester took the opposite approach, acquiring 100% ownership of the India-based composition firm Antares Publishing Services (APS), after seven successful years of collaboration. The APS staff of more than 300 people has been providing production services exclusively for Westchester clients for more than a decade, from our offices located in Chennai and Noida.
In 2014, Westchester Publishing Services established an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), becoming an employee-owned company.
In 2017, after years of careful consideration, Westchester Education Services began operations in Dayton, Ohio, providing educational publishers with a U.S.-based range of services from content creation for student books, teacher guides and ancillaries, to original illustrations, photo research, page design and layout, through to post-development editorial and pre-press production.
In 2018, Westchester Publishing Services further expanded our range of offerings into the British and European publishing market with the establishment of our UK office, located in Stratford upon Avon.
In 2021, Westchester Publishing Services UK Ltd launched Westchester Education UK & International, serving educational publishers and edtech firms, and acquired River Editorial, the Devon-based provider of editorial and project management services.
About Westchester Publishing Services
Westchester Publishing Services is the largest U.S.-based company focused exclusively on providing pre-press editorial and production services for publishers of books, journals, textbooks, and white papers. We are not a printer, ensuring 100% of our resources and expertise are focused on taking your projects from the manuscript stage through to final print-ready and digital files, delivering the highest quality editorial, composition, design, and digital conversion services during every phase of pre-press production. When pre-press production is complete on your projects, we coordinate directly with your printer of choice to ensure print-ready files meet with your required specifications.
Westchester Publishing Services delivers cost-saving options which let you grow your publishing program. We make sure your projects receive the attention to detail and high quality you demand, maintaining firm control over the final product by ensuring production work for Westchester clients is managed through Antares Publishing Services – our wholly-owned India production facilities – and never sent to third parties. Westchester Publishing Services is committed to delivering excellence, every title, every time, which is why we have trusted partnerships that span over several decades and thousands of publications.
Publishers including Macmillan, Harvard University Press, W.W. Norton, Bloomsbury, Mary Ann Liebert, The MIT Press, and The Brookings Institution Press rely on Westchester Publishing Services for the following pre-press services:
- Domestic Full Service –U.S. project management and copyediting, with offshore composition. Proofreading, indexing, and art adjustments available as optional services
- Composition only –U.S. customer service with offshore composition/typesetting, using InDesign, 3B2, and LaTeX
- Design & Layout Services –From cover design, book design and layout, 4-color composition, photo research, data visualization and more, our design solutions provide you with the talent and capability your project requires
- India Direct Full Service –Project management from our production offices in Noida, with U.S. or India copyediting, optional services available
- India Direct Composition Only –Includes access to a U.S.-based customer service representative for project resolution assistance
- ePub, Digital Conversion and XML Services –From remediation, to fully accessible digital conversion and more, we can help you create your digital files for distribution. As a GCA-certified vendor, our team can serve as your digital guide.
- Education Services–Full-service content development through all stages of pre-press production for US-based educational publishers
- Education Services, International–Full-service content development through all stages of pre-press production for international educational publishers
- UK Services–Bespoke editorial and production services tailored to the specifications of British publishers
- Client Portal –Our proprietary cloud-based project management system built using the Dropbox API, and customizable to our clients’ requirements for editorial and composition projects submitted to Westchester Publishing Services.
Visit our specific product pages to find out how our full suite of service offerings can be tailored to your requirements. Contact us today, and learn how our services can help you condense schedules and trim production costs.