We hire experienced freelance copyeditors to edit nonfiction titles in the scholarly/academic, professional, and reference fields. Must be proficient with the Chicago Manual of Style and able to edit using Microsoft® Word’s track changes function.
Currently, we are particularly interested in recruiting editors experienced with technical/medical/engineering subjects. We also employ freelance proofreaders and indexers.
Freelance Production Editor
We are seeking an experienced freelance production editor for our editorial services department. Our main clients are academic publishers in the humanities and social sciences fields. The applicant must have direct experience in the scholarly book publishing field.
- In-depth knowledge of scholarly book production, including Chicago Manual of Style and other publishing conventions; minimum five years directly related experience.
- Specific experience managing titles from manuscript to final printer files for academic publishers, including managing and vetting the work of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Solid knowledge of editorial style, especially Chicago Manual of Style, excellent proofreading skills (including correct posting of changes), and ability to work with manuscript files and tracked changes in Word. Experience with PDF markup tools is also necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively with authors, publisher clients, and inhouse staff.
- Experience managing art programs involving halftones, line art, and occasionally 4c images.
We are looking for book designers with the ability to interpret our clients’ needs while working with our Production team. Designers should have experience in a variety of book markets, particularly the K-8 market, and be able to work from conceptualization to page layout.
To be considered for the positions listed above, please complete the form on this page and provide a brief summary of your experience in the “Message” section. Qualified applicants will be sent test materials.
Freelance Writers and Editors
Westchester Education Services is looking for writers and editors for our editorial team. Writers and editors should have experience in the classroom, as well as demonstrated experience creating content for the school market. We are especially interested in candidates with a background in child psychology or who have experience developing social-emotional learning materials. Please reference these criteria if they are applicable, along with your relevant skills in your Shortlist application. Work is assigned by project, and we will contact candidates based on the availability of an assignment that fits your skillset.
Freelance Career and Technical Education Writer/Editor
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance writers and editors with experience writing or teaching Jr. High, High School, or Post-Secondary in all Career and Technical Education pathways.
Specifically, we seek people with the following qualifications:
- Robust understanding of one or more components of the 16 CTE career clusters
- Experience with teaching or training in CTE subject matter
- Ability to clearly explain concepts associated with CTE subject matter
- Proficiency in grammar and well-developed writing skills (for certain roles)
- Knowledge of state standards related to CTE (beneficial but not required)
- Capacity to commit time and energy to the production of quality CTE educational products
Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Project Manager
Westchester Education Services is seeking part-time freelance Project Management specialists with at least three years’ experience managing projects in the publishing industry. Experience with project management in K-12 educational publishing is preferred. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Art & Design Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking experienced freelance Graphic Designers, Illustrators and Art/Media Researchers to join our freelance talent pool. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Production Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance composition specialists with a background in educational publishing and experience with software such as Adobe InDesign. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Full-time Employment Opportunities
Currently, we do not have any full-time opportunities available. Please check back on this site regularly, and follow us on our LinkedIn page for updates regarding positions that become available.