Full-time Employment Opportunities
— Production Editor —
We are seeking an experienced Production Editor to handle all phases of book production from manuscript to final files for our client publishers, mainly in the scholarly monograph and academic trade fields. Our client list also includes some publishers of reference, science, medical, and business titles.
The Production Editor will be the liaison with the author, the client publisher, and freelancers assigned to each project and will supervise all work, including vetting copyediting, proofreading, page makeup, and art. Responsibilities also include managing schedules and project budgets.
Candidates should have specific background in academic publishing and at least 5 years of production editorial experience. This is a full-time position that can be flexible in location.
— Assistant Production Editor —
We are seeking an Assistant Production Editor to learn all phases of book and/or journal production from manuscript to final files for our client publishers, mainly in the scholarly monograph and academic trade fields. Candidate must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have a solid command of English language and grammatical conventions. Must have good familiarity with Microsoft Word and the ability to work with various file formats. Responsibilities include assisting Production Editors with quality control checks, light editing, and proofreading.
This is a full-time entry-level job at our Danbury, CT headquarters, with growth potential.
To apply for either of the positions listed above, please complete and submit this application.
We hire experienced freelance copyeditors to edit nonfiction titles in the scholarly/academic, professional, and reference fields. Must be proficient with the Chicago Manual of Style and able to edit using Microsoft® Word’s track changes function.
Currently, we are particularly interested in recruiting editors experienced with science/technology/math subjects. The ability to copyedit on PDFs is sometimes necessary.
We also employ freelance proofreaders and indexers.
We are looking for book designers with the ability to interpret our clients’ needs while working with our Production team. Designers should have experience in a variety of book markets, and be able to work from conceptualization to page layout.
To be considered for the positions listed above, please complete the form on this page and provide a brief summary of your experience in the “Message” section. Qualified applicants will be sent test materials.
Full-Time Employment Opportunities
Senior Editor, Literacy
The Senior Editor, Literacy role entails overseeing multiple editorial projects independently and concurrently, with duties that include:
- Serving as the lead editor on assigned projects;
- Ensuring project guidelines and expectations are clearly defined;
- Working with Editorial Senior Staff to ensure that projects are staffed appropriately according to client quality and budget expectations;
- Managing internal and external editorial resources on assigned projects;
- Overseeing quality control processes on assigned projects to ensure that content meets client expectations and is culturally responsive;
- Ensuring client satisfaction by managing client expectations and communicating clearly to resolve issues;
- Anticipating risks to schedule, quality, and budget, and working proactively to mitigate them;
- Working with PM and Editorial Senior Staff to track project budgets and schedules;
- Working with management and clients to identify and solve project issues;
- Writing on projects, as needed.
In addition to acting as the primary editor on assigned projects, this role may also serve as an editorial resource on projects under the direction of our Editorial Senior Staff.
This role reports to the Senior Supervising Editor, Literacy and SEL.
In alignment with Westchester’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, strong preference will be given to candidates who contribute to the diversity of Westchester and the industry, and the environment of belonging and inclusion we strive to cultivate.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Having an awareness of and dedication to culturally responsive education (CRE) best practices;
- Having 5 years or more experience working within educational publishing, with 2-3 years in a lead editor role;
- Being well-versed in Literacy content development and state standards;
- Having a demonstrated ability to manage projects to budget, quality, and schedule expectations;
- Having a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other departments, including design, art, production, and project management;
- Having a growth-oriented mindset to develop into new roles as the organization evolves.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume with project list in PDF format to this link.
Freelance Writers and Editors
Westchester Education Services is looking for writers and editors for our editorial team. Writers and editors should have experience in the classroom, as well as demonstrated experience creating content for the school market. We are especially interested in candidates with a background in child psychology or who have experience developing social-emotional learning materials. Please reference these criteria if they are applicable, along with your relevant skills in your Shortlist application. Work is assigned by project, and we will contact candidates based on the availability of an assignment that fits your skillset.
Freelance Career and Technical Education Writer/Editor
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance writers and editors with experience writing or teaching Jr. High, High School, or Post-Secondary in all Career and Technical Education pathways.
Specifically, we seek people with the following qualifications:
- Robust understanding of one or more components of the 16 CTE career clusters
- Experience with teaching or training in CTE subject matter
- Ability to clearly explain concepts associated with CTE subject matter
- Proficiency in grammar and well-developed writing skills (for certain roles)
- Knowledge of state standards related to CTE (beneficial but not required)
- Capacity to commit time and energy to the production of quality CTE educational products
Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Project Manager
Westchester Education Services is seeking part-time freelance Project Management specialists with at least three years’ experience managing projects in the publishing industry. Experience with project management in K-12 educational publishing is preferred. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Art & Design Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking experienced freelance Graphic Designers, Illustrators and Art/Media Researchers to join our freelance talent pool. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Production Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance composition specialists with a background in educational publishing and experience with software such as Adobe InDesign. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Please check back on this site regularly, and follow us on our LinkedIn page for updates regarding positions that become available.