We hire experienced freelance copy editors to edit nonfiction titles in the scholarly/academic, professional, and reference fields. Must be proficient with the Chicago Manual of Style and able to edit using Microsoft® Word’s track changes function.
We also employ freelance proofreaders and indexers.
If interested, please complete the form on this page and provide a brief summary of your experience in the “Message” section. Qualified applicants will be sent test materials.
We are looking for book designers with the ability to interpret our clients’ needs while working with our Production team. Designers should have experience in a variety of book markets, particularly the K-8 market, and be able to work from conceptualization to page layout.
Westchester K-12 Publishing Services is expanding its Quality Control team – If you’re detail oriented, able to communicate effectively with others, and have strong proofreading skills, then this could be the position for you. Job description and application can be found here.
Full-time Employment Opportunities
Production Editor, Journals
We are looking for an experienced Journal Production Editor to handle all phases of journal production from manuscript to final files for our client publishers, mainly in the medical and science fields.
The Journal Production Editor will be the liaison with the author, journal editor, client publisher, and freelancers assigned to each project and will supervise all work, including vetting copyediting, proofreading, page makeup, and art. Responsibilities also include managing schedules.
- At least 2 years production editorial experience.
- Solid knowledge of editorial style, especially with Chicago Manual of Style, excellent proofreading skills (including correct posting of changes), and ability to work with manuscript files and tracked changes in Word.
- Ability to work effectively with a varied client base with different house rules and style requirements.
- Must be detail oriented, able to prioritize work to meet schedules, and able to maintain very accurate records on multiple projects at once.
- Ability to communicate effectively with authors, clients, and inhouse staff and to accurately carry out instructions.
While our preference is to hire an inhouse staff member, we will consider offsite employment applications from production editors with specific background in academic publishing and at least 5 years of production editorial experience.
Assistant Production Editor
We are seeking an Assistant Production Editor to learn all phases of book production from manuscript to final files for our client publishers, mainly in the scholarly monograph and academic trade fields. Our client list also includes some publishers of reference, science, and business titles.
The Assistant Production Editor will assist Production Editors with quality control checks, light editing, and proofreading and will have the opportunity to learn to manage projects.
This is an entry-level job at our Danbury, CT location.
Westchester K-12 Publishing Services, a division of the U.S.-based and employee-owned Westchester Publishing Services, continues to grow! We currently have the following positions available:
Full-Time Employment Opportunities
ELL/World Languages Content Director
We’re looking for an ELL/World Languages Content Director to join our content development team. This growth-oriented position extends the capabilities of Westchester’s successful editorial group. If you are the rare find in the editorial world who is equally at home creating engaging content and ensuring multiple editorial projects run smoothly, we want to meet you.
The ELL/World Languages Content Director will work with external clients and internal resources to create products for the K-12 ELL, ELT, and World Languages markets that meet internal and external guidelines and requirements.
The role reports to our Dayton, Ohio office. Working remotely is an option for this position.
- Communicating effectively with clients;
- Understanding client needs and translating those needs into project plans;
- Creating editorial project budgets based on those project plans;
- Staffing project teams and managing those teams through project execution;
- Completing projects on time and on budget;
- Developing a robust network of resources;
- Elevating WPS’s efforts in providing forward-thinking insights and intelligence around the issues driving the industry
The ideal candidate for this role will:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5-8 years editorial experience in World Languages and ELL/ELT development;
- Be well-versed in ELL and World Languages content development best practices;
- Have a demonstrated ability to manage projects to budget, quality, and schedule expectations;
- Have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other departments, including design, art, production, and project management;
- Have a growth-oriented mindset that will allow the successful candidate to develop into new roles as the organization evolves.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to: WPS_applicants@westchesterk12pubsvcs.com. Please include “ELL/World Languages Content Director” in the subject line of your email.
Westchester K-12 Publishing Services is a part of Westchester Publishing Services, an employee-owned, U.S.-based organization that extends the capacity of publisher clients in the education, academic, trade, and journal spaces. To learn more about Westchester K-12 Publishing Services, visit us on the web.