We hire experienced freelance copyeditors to edit nonfiction titles in the scholarly/academic, professional, and reference fields. Must be proficient with the Chicago Manual of Style and able to edit using Microsoft® Word’s track changes function.
Currently, we are particularly interested in recruiting editors experienced with technical/medical/engineering subjects. We also employ freelance proofreaders and indexers.
We are looking for book designers with the ability to interpret our clients’ needs while working with our Production team. Designers should have experience in a variety of book markets, particularly the K-8 market, and be able to work from conceptualization to page layout.
To be considered for the positions listed above, please complete the form on this page and provide a brief summary of your experience in the “Message” section. Qualified applicants will be sent test materials.
Full-Time Employment Opportunities
Dayton, Ohio-based, Westchester Education Services, a division of the U.S.-based and employee-owned Westchester Publishing Services, is seeking a full-time Project Coordinator to assist with project management.
Job Title: Project Coordinator
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
The Project Coordinator serves as a project management assistant on client projects, as assigned, and plays a key role in the administration of the Project Management Office (PMO). The primary function of the job is to help Project Managers ensure projects can be completed on time and on budget by taking on some of the day-to-day coordination of projects, as assigned. The secondary function is to coordinate with the Senior Project Manager and others to carry out the administrative tasks of all projects as needed within the PMO.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assisting with the administrative tasks required to open, bill, and close projects
- Assisting with the creation and management of schedules
- Assisting with the creation and distribution of project assignments
- Assisting with the tracking of deliverables
- Assisting with the tracking and management of project budgets
- Communicating with clients and internal stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned relating to managing projects and resources
Qualifications and Requirements
In alignment with Westchester’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, strong preference will be given to candidates who contribute to the diversity of Westchester and the industry, and the environment of belonging and inclusion we strive to cultivate.
- A passion for developing educational products and amplifying the voices of people from populations historically underrepresented in the industry
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 2–3 years working or “playing” in a team environment, preferably with demonstrated leadership experience
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Superior communication and organization skills
- Experience using Dropbox (preferred), Google Drive, or a similar cloud-based file storage system designed for collaboration
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel (especially working with medium-to-complex formulas such as WORKDAY, COUNT, COUNTA, SUMIF, etc.)
Interested applicants may upload a cover letter and resume/CV in PDF format using this link.
Freelance Writers and Editors
Westchester Education Services is looking for writers and editors for our editorial team. Writers and editors should have experience in the classroom, as well as demonstrated experience creating content for the school market. We are especially interested in candidates with a background in child psychology or who have experience developing social-emotional learning materials. Please reference these criteria if they are applicable, along with your relevant skills in your Shortlist application. Work is assigned by project, and we will contact candidates based on the availability of an assignment that fits your skillset.
Freelance Career and Technical Education Writer/Editor
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance writers and editors with experience writing or teaching Jr. High, High School, or Post-Secondary in all Career and Technical Education pathways.
Specifically, we seek people with the following qualifications:
- Robust understanding of one or more components of the 16 CTE career clusters
- Experience with teaching or training in CTE subject matter
- Ability to clearly explain concepts associated with CTE subject matter
- Proficiency in grammar and well-developed writing skills (for certain roles)
- Knowledge of state standards related to CTE (beneficial but not required)
- Capacity to commit time and energy to the production of quality CTE educational products
Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Project Manager
Westchester Education Services is seeking part-time freelance Project Management specialists with at least three years’ experience managing projects in the publishing industry. Experience with project management in K-12 educational publishing is preferred. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Art & Design Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking experienced freelance Graphic Designers, Illustrators and Art/Media Researchers to join our freelance talent pool. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skillset.
Freelance Production Specialist
Westchester Education Services is seeking freelance composition specialists with a background in educational publishing and experience with software such as Adobe InDesign. Work is assigned by project. Complete the Shortlist application, fill in your relevant skills, and we will look for a project that fits your skill set.
Full-time Employment Opportunities
Currently, we do not have any full-time opportunities available. Please check back on this site regularly, and follow us on our LinkedIn page for updates regarding positions that become available.